PTO PURPOSE: To provide opportunities which enhance the growth of each child and bring about a closer relationship between home and school. Through fundraising and family activities, we promote positive school/community relationships that enhance our children’s educational environment.
The Winnebago PTO is made up strictly of volunteers. All parents/guardians and teachers of students at Dorothy Simon and Jean McNair Elementary Schools are invited to participate.
- Educational supplements for teachers, such as visual and/or hands-on learning
- Tests and prizes for Accelerated Reader program
- Playground equipment
- Special performers, programs, and assemblies
- Class trip supplements (example: admission fees for students)
- Co President/Vice President -
- Secretary -
- Teacher Representative -
The PTO sponsors school/family activities throughout the year. These events include:
- Open House/Back-To-School Celebration – families attend school to see their child’s classroom, meet the teachers, and enjoy a cook out.
- Christmas Bazaar – early December – students are able to shop on their own. Items range from $1 – $5 and are helped by older students while parents wait.
- Y-Night – mid-winter – families enjoy a night at the Rockford YMCA. Snacks and beverages are donated by parents. Families have access to the pool, locker rooms, ball courts, and play/gym areas.
- Family Night – spring – fun evening to spend at school with other families. Themes change from year to year – in the past, there have been sock hops, hoe-downs, sports nights, ice cream socials.
- Art Fair – April/May – this is a K – 12 grade event. Art is displayed at the high school for viewing by the entire community. The PTO sponsors a basket raffle, in which each classroom puts together a basket of items based on a theme. The proceeds benefit the art department.
The Winnebago PTO invites all parents/guardians and teachers of students in Early Childhood to fifth grade to attend monthly meetings. The first meeting is in September. Agendas for meetings are sent home with students in advance and will note the meeting location and time. Volunteering allows all of us to be a part of our children’s elementary school experience.